Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Funny Father


Conversation with dad:

Dad: Hi, I got some new sandals today.

Newt: Good for you dad.

Dad: Well, I needed some advice so I figured I would call my shoe expert.

Newt: Ok, ask away.

Dad: If I have on jean shorts do I wear black socks or navy blue socks with my sandals?



***dead silence***

Dad: Cause I don't want to embarrass myself.

Newt: Well, actually dad, do you have a pair of grey and blue striped socks?

Dad: I might, should I wear those?

Newt: Yeah, or wait, wait, do you have argyles?

Dad: I might, but if not should I get some?

Newt: Yeah, argyles would be perfect. And if you have those little bands you can put those on so your socks stay up.

Dad: Oh, I don't think I need those, the socks I have stay up pretty good.

Newt: Dad, don't ever have this conversation with Nettie. She will hyperventilate.

Dad: Oh, don't worry ***giggle giggle*** I wouldn't do that to her.

Newt: So it's just me you torture?

Dad: Yeah, and it's kinda fun.

Newt: No socks dad, please no socks. If you put on socks I'll have to personally fly out there and take your sandals away.

Dad: Well in that case I'm wearing black knee high socks with my sandals.

Newt: **sigh** I love ya dad.

Dad: Me too, River pooped so I gotta go clean up the you know what.

Click.

Newt then calls up Nettie

Newt: Hey, so, how do parents give their kids heart attacks?

Netttie: Do you want the list alphabetically or numerically

Newt: Dad just called to see if he should wear black socks or navy blue socks with his new sandals.

**Sounds of hyperventilation coming from the phone***

Nettie: What???? What???? Oh god tell me he's kidding

Newt: He was, as soon as he didn't ask me black socks or white socks I knew he was actually messing me with.

Nettie; Oh good, I wasn't breathing there for a moment.

Newt: I told him that was how you would react.

Nettie; Oh, that dad of yours............

Authors note: Nettie isn't my sister but my parents have always considered my close friends their kids. So to Dad she is a daughter.

And River is my dad's dog. And he calls me when he is out walking the dogs. Our conversations always end as soon as one of the dogs poops.

10 comments:

R.E.H. said...

That was funny! ;)

Uhm... though - what color socks should a guy wear with his sandals?

Christy said...

Hehe this is sweet!

Jay said...

The only problem I saw there was the jean shorts. He should be wearing Bermuda shorts. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's obvious, isn't it?

The socks have to match the belt, of course!

Nettie must have thought I was a fashion disaster when she met me.

gary rith said...

My wife wore these bright green socks with pigs on them yesterday (wow! WONDER WHO GAVE HER THOSE???) or maybe your dad should try those sneakers some senior citizens like to wear, with velcro!!!!!

btw-nice shoes for you, with little buckles?

Tink said...

Oh thank God he was kidding. I was beginning to think we'd have to stage an intervention.

Nettie said...

I love your dad. But if you're going out there to take away his sandals, I'm coming with!

Anonymous said...

Your dad is a hoot!

Thank goodness you set him straight. LOL

It is nice he calls, even if it is only when River is doing his business!

Jo said...

Gotta love the socks with sandals...and he was kidding! My dad does it for real. With tube socks.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

TOO FUNNY! I figured River was a dog, at least I was hoping ;)

My FIL, whom I love dearly, tend to wear black shoes with whatever colored socks. I kid him about his fashion statement.

My fav MIL is working on it :)