Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mike's Visit Recap

Friday:

Mike arrived.
Drove him around St. Paul
Ordered Wongs Chinese take-out
Watched Dr. Who and Graham Norton

Saturday:

Went to the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis
It is the site of the former Gold Medal Flour Factory
The Pillsbury factory is right across the river
The Mill blew up once, was rebuilt, closed, and then burned down
Surprisingly a flour museum is a very cool way to spend an afternoon
Even got to see an explosion – what happens when you mix flour, air, and a spark.
Damn – who’d have thunk


Stopped at Surdyks to get some wine
Porky’s for really good burger, onion rings, and shakes
Then on to Como Conservatory and Zoo
Beautiful, green, and warm
Lasagna for dinner
Then we watched Beowulf

Sunday

Mall of America with Girl J

A grad party
Then a night of chatty craftiness
That ended up being pretty much devoted to watching Eureka

Monday

I had to go into work
So Mike watched more Eureka (he’s addicted)
Then I got off work early, picked him up and off we went
First stop: Mickey’s diner.

Dad wanted me to take him there for the experience
It's quite common for a state senator to be sitting next to a homeless person at Mickey's
In other words, the whole world goes there
And the people watching, the interaction, and the "life" is totally awesome
Very yummy lunch
On the way out we got stopped by a woman in the street
It went something like this

Woman: Are you going to the west side?
Newt: No
Woman: Can you go to the west side?
(note: it’s about 40 degrees and she is in a thin cotton dress and flip flops)
Newt: Sure
Woman: Thanks

She gets in – she smells of pot

Woman:
I need to go see my counselor
I have to get meds for my schizophrenia
You guys must be vampires
Cause you are nice
I am going to start a website about vampires
And I’m going to make lots of money
And I’m going to fast for 70 days
Like Jesus
And I’m going to take a picture of myself every day
I don’t know why meds have to have side effects
I mean, they might cure what you have but then they make you sick
You know, like cancer
Your hair falls out and stuff
They could cure everything with herbs
And if I could only take two medicines at once I could get better
But my doctor says no
He’s lying
Ok, maybe he’s not lying but I really want this other medication
But herbs are just as good
And there are Mexican werewolves
They are moving into the area
Which is good
Because they are going to take care of the black werewolves
And the white and Asian ones
It’s good that we are getting more Mexican werewolves
We need them to take care of the bad black werewolves
And the Asian and white ones
But you guys are vampires
And I’m going to start a website really soon about vampires.


About a mile later we dropped her off at her clinic. She said Thank you and went inside.
We drove for a bit before we cracked up
I swear the poor woman never took a breath from the moment she sat down
And I barely got a word in edgewise while trying to get directions from her

And all Mike and I could think was Blog Fodder Blog Fodder
And I know Dad will be proud because we have one more story for "Adventures at Mickey's"

After that we went to the Cathedral of St. Paul

Then some shopping on Grand Ave
Then dinner with The Mutt Princess and Grasshopper
Which was totally awesome
Best three and a half hour dinner I have had in YEARS!

authors note: Please don't send hatemail about making fun of the mentally ill and homeless. If I was an ass I wouldn't have picked her up in the first place. It was obvious she was staying at the shelter across the street. I gave her a ride because she was cold and it is a pretty long walk. So get off your high horse and just enjoy the humor in the situation. It's not every day I get called a vampire.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Newt, you crack me up! I came over looking for the corkers you ordered from Gary (he has 'em posted on his blog), but I'm so glad I read this. I kept thinking, Tink would like this...
And I also kept thinking, you sure were nice to give this gal a ride. As a mom, I'd be too worried to pick up strangers, and see what I miss out on?!
Blog Fodder, Blog Fodder, Blog Fodder!!! *grin*

Anonymous said...

Oh, and those close-ups are GORGEOUS!!!

Betty said...

I admire you for being willing to help someone out like that. Every time I try to do a good deed it turns out bad, or at least, unfortunate. On a very hot day, I offered an old lady a ride because she was hardly able to walk and carry a grocery sack. I helped her into the car and asked her where she lived. She started talking, and I realized that I couldn't understand anything she was saying. I told her to just point, and I finally got her home. Thank goodness, this is a very small town. But, it took so long, I missed Days of Our Lives. lol

Jay said...

Fun times! Great pics too!

Someday when I come up there I'm going to have you be my tour guide. And we're definitely going to Mickey's. I could probably hang out at a place like that all afternoon long!

gary rith said...

there really is a Porky's?
my goodness you got some good shots!

Christy said...

You always have the most fun posts. I love the photos of the flowers, especially those deep blue violet ones!

Tink said...

LMFAO!! Omg. That was the funniest conversation EVER. Nobody is allowed to give you a hard time. That was your reward for doing a good deed. See? God DOES have a sense of humor. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm just impressed you remembered her whole speech.

~Jef

Jo said...

LOL! At least she was jolly about you being a vampire! When my good deeds go wrong, I get the ones who want to stake vampires. Very sweet of you to give her a lift.

I love the flour mill pics! And of course the tulips...the fern photo is amazing!

Sounds like you all had a great time :)

Jo said...

Newt...do you know what happened to Nettie's blog? I'm hoping it's temporary :(

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I wasn't going to give you a hard time. I was going to say, "way to be nice to the crazy woman." I never would have done that...I'm a chicken.

And the tulips are beeee-U-tiful! I love tulips.

R.E.H. said...

I gotta tell you - it's been a while since I laughed so hard as I did just now, reading that conversation piece in the car.

You guys must be vampires
Cause you are nice
I am going to start a website about vampires
And I’m going to make lots of money


and

It’s good that we are getting more Mexican werewolves
We need them to take care of the bad black werewolves
And the Asian and white ones


Now, don't get me wrong - I do feel sorry for the girl. But, that is a classic conversation!

Oh, and nice pics too!

Ada [The Duchess] said...

Beautiful flowers.

Fortune Cookies said...

Oh my goodness! If you get any hate mail, let me know, I'll kick some butt for you! ;) I'm just impressed that you were brave enough to pick her up. Great photos by the way, beautiful flowers. The flour factory actually sounds intriguing.

Reb said...

Wow, I love how they have juxtaposed all that glass with the old brick wall. Very well done, great photos, now I have another place I want to visit.

Love the flowers, I don't recognise the pinky starry ball one though.

Good for you for giving that woman a ride! You're such a nice Vampire! ;)

Kell said...

You're such a good person, and that (one-sided) conversation is classic. How can anyone send you hate mail--you tell me who and I'll go with fortune cookies to defend your honor!

Great, beautiful photos, too.