Monday, January 28, 2008

More ramblings

I got to work at the crack of dawn

No traffic

And no badge

So off to the coffee shop since I couldn't get into the building

The good thing about it being so "warm" is that I put on a lighter coat

The bad thing was my badge was in my parka

The sad thing is, after coffee and reading a few pages of my book when I got back to work there were still only three cars in the lot. Yep, I was in that early.

Ok, so, finally someone pulled in and I went in with her

Spent the day listening to my British co-worker present our training class

He sounds SO much better than I do even though we talk about the same stuff

Sigh..............

Started to pack my office for the move Friday

Then, I left

Holy crap, I didn't know what to do with myself

I was home by 4

I picked up yet more poop

Oh, yeah, REH, about the poop pick up

It gets so darn cold here that the poop freezes hard to the ground, dirt, or snow

And when it's 30 below out the last thing I will do at 5:30 in the morning is follow the dogs outside to pick up their poop as it graces the yard.

So, I have to wait till it warms up enough to pry it from the tundra.

Today, being at least 40 degrees allowed me to pick up a ton of it

A lot of snow had melted so more poop was exposed

In the last two days I picked up three grocery bags of it

Grant you a lot of snow goes into the bag too but still, lots of poop

If I wait too long and the snow melts and floods the yard the poop gets way to mushy to clean up so this just above freezing temp is ideal.

So there you have it. Poop duty in the frozen north

My life would be easier if I sucked it up and went out with the dogs each morning, but DAMN it's just too cold.

I made a flank steak for dinner

Covered in a peppercorn sauce

And made au'gratins

Fantastic dinner

And then spent the evening snuggling puppies and watching Enterprise

I'm working from home tomorrow

It's supposed to snow

And I don't want to be out in it

And since I'm going to be gone for almost three weeks straight I figure I can do this and not feel guilty

And my boss didn't care

But getting up before 5 is starting to wear on me

It's only 9 and I want to go to bed

And the cats are already begging for their 10 snack

I guess since they got dinner early the assume I owe them snack early as well

And they are probably right

That way I can go to bed early

And read till I fall asleep

Ahhh, an almost completely perfect day

Except for all the poop

That was just kinda gross

And stinky

9 comments:

Kell said...

That sounds like a great day. Our warm days are over tomorrow, too, but we're not supposed to get much snow.

I have to wait until it warms up, too, for poop picking up duty. Ick.

Jay said...

That's a lot of poop!

We're having storms tonight, but it is supposed to get pretty cold tomorrow night. No snow though. I don't think we're EVER gonna get any snow down here. Very sad!

Anonymous said...

Picking up poop is one of my least favorite chores. I've been very tempted to hire one of the dog poop picker uppers that we have around here. But can't quite bring myself to do that...ick.

J said...

At least you got it picked up before it started to rain. That would have made the poop just...unpickupable.

R.E.H. said...

Nice transition from the poop to dinner ;)

That is a whole lot of doo-doo picking you've been doing there - I do not envy you there!

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on the poop picking, though ;)

Christy said...

This morning when I walked into Townsend Hall and up the stairs I distinctly smelled bubbles.

And then I thought that would make a good ramble. =o)

Tory said...

Supper sounded so good. Shoveling poo...not so much. I cannot do that job at all..I gag and almost vomit just at the site of it. You're a tough girl! Not a weenie like me...lol.
Take care
Tory

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of poop.

J-Funk said...

wow two grocery bags is a lot of poop!

Sometimes when it dips below 40F here I catch myself complaining and then remind myself that 40F is like a heatwave in Minnesota (eg you put on a lighter coat and go out and clean up dog poop). It's weird how fast you get used to what you've got.