Saturday, January 05, 2008

Confessions of a geek

I'm a geek. There is no way around it. And I'm ok with that. Geekdom, frankly, is a pretty good place to be. The people are nice, well, at least the "normal" ones are. There are a few geeks that go overboard and get kinda scary but we try to avoid those.

I love SciFi. In fact it's gotten to the point that I either watch Sci Fi or a show that stars two huge geeks, Mythbusters.

I read Sci Fi. Though I also read a wide variety of books my favorites are in the geek category.

Except James Lee Burke, and he's on a pedestal all by himself way up high in my world.

I relate to geeks, I'm comfortable with geeks, I get them and they get me.

I'm not just left of center, I'm left of reality.

I have a vivid imagination.

At night my dreams take me to some very odd places normally reserved for drug induced psychosis.

I got to thinking about my geekdom when it dawned on me that I really don't watch any television unless it involves outer space or the mythical.

And a happy Saturday was spent deep in the world of Neverwinter. Actually I finished off the game this evening so I went on to Amazon and ordered the other two expansion packs. I've grown very attached to my little monk. She kicks some serious ass. And the little kobold bard that hangs out with her, well, I wouldn't know what to do without him. Grant you he gets himself killed more often than not as soon as a bad guy looks at him sideways but he's funny and kinda cute in a "he's so ugly he's cute" sort of way.

I will not reveal all my geeky ways. I won't make you suffer through them. And a few are just my little secret. Those things about me you might never know.

But we all have to have our secrets right?

Any besides, it keeps me out of trouble. And really, that's all that matters.

So what are you? Jock? Geek? Nerd? Cheerleader? Druggy? Thespian?

10 comments:

Jay said...

I reject labels. ;-)

Kell said...

I'll label Jay! Oooh Ooooh let me!

I think I'm a geeky thespian. I love the sci-fi and fantasy and horror, but I'm also so excited that Masterpiece Theater is showing all Jane Austin adaptations this season.

Ya gotta love us!

Anonymous said...

Oh no...I have no idea what I am. I think I'll just take Jay's stance.

R.E.H. said...

I think I may be a geeky nerd... or a nerdy geek.

I love my horror movies so much... but I have no one who wants to watch those crappy low budget ones with me ;)

J said...

I'm such a geek my wife gave me a "No, I will not fix your computer" t-shirt for Christmas.

Karen said...

I think I am probably a Dork. I don't like sci-fi and fantasy, but I can suspend reality for romanticism. I probably wouldn't spend hours playing a computer game, but I am the type of person who is most likely to trip across the stage when accepting some sort of award.

Chelle Y. said...

The only Sci-Fi I ever liked was "Star Wars" and "ET." Haha!

I am a dork. Probably, a lot like Karen. :)

Tink said...

>>Left of reality<< What a great phrase! What is this game you speak of? I'm in need of a new addiction. ;)

Tory said...

I'll watch the crappy low-budget ones with you, r.e.h.! Especially the old black and white ones...love 'em!
I guess I'd be called the dorky, comedic, freakish type. After reading my blog, Newt, you can probably think of a few verbs for me as well.
Take care
Tory

Christy said...

I think I'm a nerd. My husband is a geek. I bought him geek boxers for Christmas.