Tuesday, January 08, 2008

WWC and the end of a great book

Strange
A strange and wonderful friendship

A strange and funny man

Black

A princess in black and white


*****
Last night I finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would. It was beautiful. It was heartbreaking. It was amazing. I can't say enough about this book. I don't think I will ever forget the characters I met, fell in love with, adored, and cried over. Ok, I admit it, I bawled. I sobbed.
I will only say that when you get to Part 10 - pg 495 in my version that you read this at home. In a quiet place. Don't finish at a coffee shop or work. Not a good idea.
A few lines - non spoilers from various parts of the book:
*****
"....because I don't have much interest in building mystery. Mystery bores me. It chores me. I know what happens and so do you. It's the machinations that wheel us there that aggravate, perplex, interest, and astound me."
*****
"And then.
There is death.
Making his way through all of it.
On the surface: unflappable, unwavering.
Below: unnerved, untied, and undone."
This book called to me when I was in B&N. I'm so incredibly glad I listened. This now goes down as one of my all time favorite books ever. It's in my top 10, and actually, I think it is in the top 5.

10 comments:

Tory said...

Now you have me all intrigued over it. I'll have to make a note of it. Thanks Newt!
Take care
Tory

Jay said...

Peter Sellers was indeed a strange and funny man. I guess you watched the Pink Panther movies on TCM tonight? I love those movies.

Have you seen "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers" with Geoffry Rush playing Peter Sellers? It was a really good movie.

Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Yes, "The Book Thief" is stunning, stirring and soul-searching. Number one in my book. If you get a chance, check out "I Am The Messenger" by Zusak too. Not as good as "Book Thief" but a great story with a powerful ending.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Is 'The book Thief' something like Kite runner? Haven't read kite runner either, just making an assumption

Christy said...

I love those black stemmed glasses!

Nettie said...

I guess I need to get back to reading so I can borrow that one! Love the pics....I actually posted some myself this week.

Kell said...

I love pictures of your puppies! It just makes my day. Those are great photos.

That book has gone on my ever-growing list! It sounds wonderful.

Karen said...

Great pictures. I also put the book on my "library list".

R.E.H. said...

Oh, I love the Pink Panther movies. I've been thinking I should buy them all on DVD so I can watch whenever I feel down.

Great pictures!

Tink said...

Oooo, what beautiful glasses! I love the first picture too. Friends come in all forms and fashions eh? :)