Saturday, January 12, 2008

Off to Austin

Hey kids,

I will be in Austin TX for the next week as I begin to see the fruition of my project at work. I put in 14 hour days but I think I am ready to roll with it. At this point there really isn't anything more I can do to be ready.

It's in the hands of Kinkos now. As well as all the good people back home still churning out data for me. I think I will show up at Kinkos with doughnuts and coffee. I'm sure they aren't really fond of me given that I just ordered about $10,000 worth of bound, tabbed, and labeled manuals, very few of which were duplicate jobs. But given that more of the data I need will be coming in last minute I'll need to ask a few favors regarding speed from them. As in, here's 8 more 700 page manuals none of which are the same. Can you have those ready by 7 am tomorrow? I know it's 6:30 pm now...................I know, I know, the copy machines do the majority of the work these days and they can print, what, a zillion pages a second. But still, they are the ones that ultimately are the hero's of the project. And I appreciate that.

This would be why I picked a 24 hour location.

Anywho, as I was scrambling last night to get the last of the files I could send over to the print shop ready I was getting messages from our data team letting me know that they were still making changes to functionality so the rest of the information I need really will be coming in last second.

Oh, the wonders of SAP implementation...................

Despite still being on the computer working at 10 at night I am having fun. The adrenaline is pumping. And I'm excited.

We don't actually "Go Live" till March 30th. My boss said something about all of the training team being in Calif. for it. And she mentioned the beach, a lot of drinks with umbrellas in them, and something about not remembering April fools day.

I like that kind of thinking......................

So, Homebloys, know any good places to eat in Austin? I have a few picked out but if you know of any in particular..............

We were sad to learn that at this time of year the bats are down in Mexico.

7 comments:

Jay said...

Rudy's is my favorite BBQ there. Can't think of the name of any other restaurant there. They do have really cool movie theater where you get served dinner and can have beer and watch the movie. Kell will remember the name of that place.

Sugars is the best strip club. Just in case you were wondering. LOL ;-)

And don't forget to hit 6th street for the live music!!!

Doc said...

Safe travel... I hear Austin is beautiful this time of year.

Kell said...

I think the movie place is called the Alamo Drafthouse. Fun place!

You can't go wrong on 6th street--lots of great live music. But I such a good time that I don't remember where I went. Fonda San Miguel is one of the many good Mexican places. And The Clay Pit is awesome Indian food.

I'm jealous! Have a wonderful time.

Sparkling Red said...

Congratulations on getting to the end of what sounds like a gargantuan project!

R.E.H. said...

Have a great time over in Austin.

Can't recommend a place to eat, since I've never been in Texas... but I'm sure there's a Waffle House somewhere around there ;)

Neil said...

Salt Lick for BBQ, Guerros for breakfast tacos, Oasis for sunset margaritas and I liked the 4th Street bars better than the 6th Street ones. SO jealous... sunny Austin seems like heaven compared to dark and cold Scotland. Enjoy!

Christy said...

You are better than I...14 hour days would have me rolling into a padded room for sure.