Monday, December 03, 2007

Wintersong

The first storm of the year hit this weekend. They played it up in the news. They promised us a big storm with lots of snow and sleet and dangerous conditions. When they play them up that big we usually get a dusting, if that. But this time, they were right. We got a nice, nasty, hazardous storm. With whiteout conditions.

I figured odds were they would be right this time. The hubster is in Germany. So that just leaves moi to shovel. And true to form, they said the northwest suburbs would get hit the hardest and the southeast suburbs the least. Ok, good, we are supposed to get the least. Well, I think that sucker swung a little more southeast than they thought cause we got hit pretty good. And coming to work this morning into the Northwest suburbs I couldn’t help but notice their snow levels were way below ours. Oh well, such is life right?

Anywhoodle, Nettie and I still set out Saturday morning for our little Yellow Ribbon event at the Mall of America. We weren’t going to let a salute to the troops pass us by just cause of a little snow.

The nice thing, the mall was virtually empty. And we got some gift shopping accomplished. Well, Nettie did. I treated myself to a purse I have wanted for a while. Not an expensive one, but with my very cool Audrey Hepburn purse I haven’t felt the urge for a new one. However, with the bad weather I wanted to put Audrey away. And so that meant the perfect opportunity to get the cool purse at Aldo I’ve been lusting after.

Then we went to Ikea. Lil Al wanted a new bed-set so we went a searching. And we had fun.

But due to the really bad weather they cancelled our event. Unfortunately no matter how hearty we are and how prepared to stand out in the cold, the white-out conditions make it hard to take a photograph of it.

Saturday night I spent the evening watching my usual DVD romance line-up. So it was the two Bridgett Jones movies, Love Actually, and While you were Sleeping. Oh, and throw the Italian Job in there as well. I actually watched all those movies between Sat. and Sunday.

Sunday afternoon I went to target to get lights for the arch over our front walkway. I was informed by Nettie and Lil Al that I HAD to put lights on it. So I found these cool strings of lights that had snowflakes dangling down. It’s all in white light to match the reindeer. And I have to admit it looks fabulous.

Pictures to follow as soon as hubster gets back from Germany with my digital camera.

I also went x-mas tree hunting. And with the help of the nice gentleman at Gertens got the perfect tree. It’s less than 4 feet tall and perfect. And it smells SO good. I was searching through their little trees when a man pulled up with a truck load of more. He put a few away and then he pulled one off, fluffed it out, and told me that it was the perfect tree. So of course I took it home.

And then Caleb proceeded to bark at the tree. And bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark.

Thankfully once the lights were on he went up to the tree, sniffed it, sniffed it some more, walked around it, sniffed it again and decided it was good. He went over to his chair, laid down and promptly fell asleep. Which was good because I was about to kill him.

Throughout the decorating I played my requisite Roger Whitacker Christmas Album. And also, as is the title of this post, the Sarah McLachlan album Wintersong. Which, is AMAZING!!!!! Absolutely amazing. It’s beautiful and addictive, and beautiful.

So, we have snow, I have a wonderful Christmas tree, and the hubster will be home in 5 days. Life is good.

How was your weekend?

4 comments:

Jay said...

I'm glad that Caleb approved of the tree.

No weekend Christmas decorating is complete without Roger Whitacker.

Kell said...

Only 5 more days! He'll have a nice Christmas home to come back to.

I'm getting ready to finish decorating. We've already put up the tree, so the hardest part is done. I'd love to get a real tree, but right now a pre-lit tree is just too convenient to pass up.

But the weekend was still great, despite the ice storm. It wasn't as bad as your storm, though.

R.E.H. said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend. I managed a few movies myself... but hardly enjoyed any of them.

Spent the entire weekend flat out in bed ridding myself of a particularly bad cold.

Christy said...

The hubster is away again? Bummer. As for the snow, it sounds spirited. We were told we might get snow this weekend. I heard ice hitting the windows for a little while but mostly it was just cold and windy.