Friday, December 28, 2007

Vomit and the price of bliss

Middle of the night Thursday:

2 am. A sleepy hubster and Newt suddenly come to the dawning realization that the weird noise is Sophie. And she's got the heaves. And she's about to throw something up that will probably not be pleasant. Bless the hubster for being awake enough to get her off the bed. Unfortunately, while trying to get her to a solid cleanable surface she tossed the cookies. Or should I say kibble. All over his shirt, the carpet, the stairs. So, he put her down in the kitchen and cleaned up the mess. He came back to bed snuggling our sick pup. But he was grumpy, oh was he grumpy. Not 10 minutes little baby girl was heaving again. So I took her back off the bed and more fluids came up all over my sweats and the floor.

"Cover your eyes honey"
"Groan"

So I got it cleaned up, grabbed my pillow and my book and headed down stairs.

And we camped out in the living room. She seemed to settle down and want to sleep. So this was good. But then, at 3:17 up comes more. And of course, like most animals she walked around as it came up. Under the coffee table, by the recliner, and then, my favorite place, right on the Christmas tree skirt and all over our stack of brand new dvd's.

Ok, the skirt is sort of hosed, it's going to be interesting cleaning up a felt skirt that has "spot clean only" instructions. And the DVD's were still covered in plastic. So that was good. But still, we have a whole lot of floor, why was under the tree so appealing?

Needless to say, Sophie and I were up most of the night. I gave up some time around 4 and read until it was time to get up, get the pups outside and feed the kitties. I worked from home Friday and she did great. I don't know what it was that got her but I think we are passed it.


*************

Every so often the coffee pot starts to poop out. And it's time to use the vinegar again. I sigh every time this happens. Because I can't shake the taste for several days. What makes the coffee pot such a remarkable invention is that when it brews your coffee it fills the house with that eye opening aroma. Unfortunately that same wafting effect also fills the room when you brew vinegar. And my eyes burn and my nose runs. And my skin feels icky.

I am not a fan of vinegar. I've never liked vinegar and oil. I can tolerate balsamic vinegar when it is dribbled in with a high quality olive oil and Parmesan cheese. But beyond that, vinegar is one of my least favorite kitchen smells. The only things that gross me out more are fish odors, cooking ground beef, and liver.

Friday I had to break down and clean the coffee pot. So all day I was coping with the vinegar smell. So, how do I try to get the smell out? I brew with that mornings used coffee grinds, then some old flavored coffee we have never finished, and then some cheap stuff we use on the weekdays. Usually after that I can brew a good cup of coffee and not gag.

It's life, I'll get over it. So many other things could be wrong. This one is no big deal. Really. But since I'm coping with the nose burning smells right this moment I had to share.

Its now Sunday ( I wrote this post on Friday) and I can still smell vinegar *sigh*

5 comments:

Jay said...

Have you ever noticed that the dogs ... and I'm sure kids too ... always get sick in the middle of the night? Why is that?

Betty said...

I'm glad Sophie is feeling better. There's nothing more pitiful than a sick puppy. I need to give my coffee pot the vinegar treatment, too, but keep putting it off.

R.E.H. said...

I can't stand anything that's got vinegar in it... possibly the foulest smell and taste there is - Yuck!

Hope your dog is feeling better... that right there would be one of the reason's I don't get a dog or a cat ;)

Kell said...

Poor Sophie. I'm glad she's better. I hate nights like that. Lucky that they don't happen all the time.

Don't know anything that will cut the vinegar smell, sorry. But it'll be worth it one day soon.

Coffespaz said...

Happy New Year to you and your family. I am so sorry the little one wasn't feeling better, I hope her tummy settles soon. Stinks when they are sick and can't tell you what is wrong.

Thanks so much for letting me share in this part of your life. I love reading your posts and "chatting"! Here's to more wonderful topics for the new year (Oh, and many terrific cups of coffee).