Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just Stuff

So, I know I have mentioned this before but I have to say it again. There are a bank of elevators in one of our buildings that completely freak me out. Rather than the old fashioned up or down buttons on the outside wall this elevator system has a panel with a button for each floor. Then you push the floor you want and a display tells you what elevator to get on. After that you walk around the corner to the actual elevator area. You stand in front of the designated elevator. It will open, you get on, and take a leap of faith that it will stop on your floor. I'm not sure why this freaks me out but it does. I feel somewhat out of control. Sort of like stepping into a horror film every time I have to utilize them. My imagination starts to run wild. But from simply loosing the visual control of choice? It's very odd. They are after all just elevators. They always work. You don't hear horror stories. Yet I get bothered every time I have to use them.

Now that I have been a regular bus rider I have noticed a few things. The people that ride the bus are from all walks of life. You can't assume any annual income or net worth range just because people ride the bus. But you CAN tell a lot about the person doing the riding.

Some are quiet commuters like myself. We don't talk, typically we read. Or in a few cases, apply our make-up for the day.

Then there are the apparent down and out. And those tend to come in two forms. Kind and courteous or downright nasty and "entitled". As in we are all apparently "entitled" to hear their conversations at full volume. Sometime they are only talking to themselves. We are also "entitled" to their opinion about everything going on around them. The bus, the driver, the people getting on or off, the street, a business, whatever. I've also noticed that riders will look out for other riders that might be seconds late for the bus. They will let the driver know that someone is trying desperately to make the bus. The driver will stop and the person will get on without incident. And then, like yesterday there are those that think that people are "entitled" to that particular bus regardless of where they are. Or how much this will hold the bus up from getting on with it's route in a timely manner. In yesterday's case the person was at the other end of the block and across the street. And sauntering slowly while waving their hands. They were not disabled in any way. They just felt "entitled". To hell with schedules, they were "entitled" to this bus. Thankfully for us all the driver didn't wait for the sauntering and thoughtless person. But BOY did we have to hear about it from someone sitting on the bus who was probably themselves one of the sauntering "entitled" She bitched for a good 3 miles.

There are also kids. Good kids and soon to be in jail kids. Kids that ride the bus quietly and respectfully and kids that scare you just a little bit because they are too young to look so angry and jaded.

And there are kindly elderly people that know the bus drivers by name.

For the most part it's an uneventful adventure. And I am loving the 40 or so minutes every day of undisturbed reading time. But I've noticed every once in a while we get quite the entertaining rider.

On the Puppy front we had friends visit us last night that just adopted a Grey Hound named Cicada. He's a beautiful and very sweet dog. They brought him over last night to visit our dogs. They muzzled him as they aren't sure how aggressive he is toward other dogs. But all seemed to go well. Of course he's 4X the size of any of our dogs so it was funny to watch the interaction. Every dog we have could actually walk under him. And I think Soc's our kitty was in love the second he saw him. I mean, Soc's LOVES dogs but man, he didn't know what to do with THAT much dog. He's was SO happy. Rubbing up against Cicada back and forth, back and forth under his legs. We could only laugh at the cuteness of it all.

Oh, and Caleb and Lily both greeted S & S. They did some fear barking and growling but over all they handled the strange company very well. S even commented on how much they have improved. She even got to pet them a little bit. Which is pretty huge considering the last time S&S visited the dogs hid in the kennel.

That's enough for today.

Hugs to everyone!

11 comments:

Jay said...

That elevator set up is really strange. You have to be commited to which floor you are going to. No changing your mind.

I rode the city bus in San Antonio a couple of times. Lots of interesting characters on the bus.

J said...

My favorite is the girl on the bus who sits down (unintentionally)right under the "Be Courteous - Don't use your cell phone on the bus" sign, and proceeds to have a cell phone conversation, at full volume, for the entire 45 minute trip home. At least she wasn't driving.

Tink said...

I LOVED your narration of the bus ride. I've never taken public transportation. Not because I'm "privileged" by any means. We just don't have them around here. It's a little town. What really blows is when your car breaks down and your only alternative is a cab. I hate cabs. You can't be quiet or incognito in them.

Jay said...

Hey Newt! I meant to tell you about this. While I was out on my morning walk today there was a woman who was also walking who was wearing a t-shirt that had a picture of a trailer home and it said "MORE READING - LESS BREEDING" on it.

I immediately thought of you when I read that. LOL

Tink said...

BTW (same thing I just told Jay), I just wanted to say this before you ever gave me reason to.

You are not allowed to close up shop. EVER. OK, maybe in like 10-15 years. But not soon.

OK? I would miss you too damn much.

Kell said...

That's a freaky elevator. I've never heard of one like that.

Loved your description of the people on the bus. I felt like I was sitting there with you, peering over my book every now and then to see who was there.

Ellie said...

That is so awesome to hear that they are doing so well! I think that sometimes dogs that are fearful of humans but like other dogs do better if the humans have dogs with them.

steve said...

Your bus sounds more interesting than mine.

Also, I'd love to adopt an ex-racer greyhound. If I ever have a home with a big yard, I'll adopt one.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your bus rides so much. It sounds like the ulitmate people watching spot.

sassybead said...

Welcome to city bus riding! Fun, isn't it? I've been riding for awhile now...I'll share some stories sometime...

That elevator system? In my old building they installed one of them. They were all proud of themselves because now they had "upgraded" the system and we wouldn't have to wait so much for elevators...yeah...we'll get back to you on that. So then just as we were getting used to not having to push a button when we got on the elevator, our business moved to another building with the good old-fashioned push-the-floor-when-you-get-on elevators. Needless to say, it took a couple of weeks for us to get used to that again! I got on one day, forgot to push the button, and then remembered when we didn't stop at my floor. The UPS man riding with me just laughed and said, "You work for A*, don't you?" I guess he had run into a few of my befuddled coworkers already!

graymama said...

I have had many a nightmare about elevator rides. I have goosebumps.

Hubby and I lived on Nicollet right in front of the bus stop for 2 years. He rode the bus to the U everyday. He has LOTS of stories. Like the man who on a good day dressed like a nun, and you didn't want to see him on a bad day. There were also 2am fights at the bus top, too.

Hooray for Lily and Caleb!!!!