Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Coffee thought

I went over to my *gasp* favorite coffee shop near work which yes, happens to be Starbucks. You know I struggle with this, but dang it, they really are the only ones with a reliable cup of coffee near here.

I curled up in a chair with my book and a mocha and found myself 2 pages later not having a clue what I had just read. This would be because a million thoughts were running through my head.

This absolutely adorable young couple were having coffee together and the chemistry between them was electric. They were sitting at a small table facing each other and while they talked they leaned in close. They only had eyes for each other. She was an absolutely gorgeous young woman. The kind of girl that wakes up perfect. No makeup, hair tossed casually up into a bun. And simply stunning. Not to mention that you could tell just from her smile that she was a sweet and genuine person.

Two friends of hers walked into the shop and they greeted each other warmly. Not the high pitched annoying girly greeting but rather just a sweet and honest warmth. One of the girls asked the little beauty if she would be doing a solo and the little beauty replied that she hadn’t been asked yet but she was hoping to. I have no idea what sort of solo, be it singing or musical, or dance but I could totally imagine her captivating an audience.

Her two friends, one was very tall, very elegant, and poised. The other was a tiny little thing with long hair and a sweet smile. She was a dancer I found out during their conversation.

I’m not sure why this little interaction struck me like it did. But one of the things I realized was that this was their time. They were the future. All the bright and beautiful possibilities of this world. They were the ones making things happen. Bringing change. Moving the planet forward.

And I started to feel my age. I never really have before. I kind of think of myself as always around 30. It’s not that I am even that much older. But I realized that my life has settled down. My life has pretty much found it’s course. I have a family, a mortgage, two cars, and a yard I take care of. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life. I wouldn’t change a thing. But my “time”, my possibilities, my bright star has found it’s place. It’s no longer shooting brilliantly across the sky.
I know you make life what you want it so I still have brialliance and possibilities, but it's not quite the same, not quite so pure and so unhindered.

These four people, their stars were blindingly brilliant. They were moving, and they were shaping what the world will become. I wish them well.

7 comments:

Kell said...

It's bittersweet, isn't it? I look at other women who are my age or a little older and I think, "Oh, but I'm not that age." But I am. I do feel younger, but like you said, I don't feel that sense of "what's to come" any more.

Anonymous said...

I understand what you are saying. I feel the same way. Only what's weird is that I now have kids that will soon be those shooting stars.

Anonymous said...

I love people watching. I love figuring out (or making up) their life...

It is odd how we have this picture of ourselves, and even though things change and we age in our mind we are young... and thin... and carefree. Ah...

Bittersweet is the only thought I have.....

Coffespaz said...

I also love people watching, been doing it since I was (much) younger. Your thoughts however, really hit home. Funny how time seems to sneak up on you. Your mind fools you into thinking that you are a certain age, and suddenly, you're not anymore.

I bet it was fun watching them!
:-)

Tink said...

What a beautiful post.

There's something to being the less-bright star though, not flying toward some unknown destination. The flying star is always worried. Where am I going? Will I ever arrive? The less-bright star is free to enjoy the scenery.

Courtney said...

We're all stars shining in our own way. Whether you choose to do it by dancing for an audience or by providing a warm, safe home for your dogs and family, you still shine.

Anonymous said...

Great post, but depressing to me, because I am having a problem lately with feeling like I'm wasting my life, and I wish I could go back to those 20-something days when I could be anything, do anything, and could just reach out and grab the world by the horns.

I'll go away now, before I depress everyone, LOL.