Monday, January 23, 2006

Did I say that out loud?

So I have been friends with Jes for six plus years now. We go out for breakfast just about every Saturday. We shop, we do crafts together, etc. Typical girl stuff. So, we are out and about Saturday morning and she is looking for a copy of the Scrabble video game. Why? Because scrabble is her favorite game but she doesn't have anyone to play with on a regular basis and someone told her the P.C. version is really fun. So the conversation went like this:

R: "I didn't know you liked scrabble"
J: "Yeah, it's my favorite game"
R: "Really? huh, it's mine too, but I don't have anyone to play it with."
J: "So why didn't you ever mention it?"
R: "Cause it's one of those games that people treat you like a leper for liking. Why didn't you say anything?"
J: "Same reason."

Is there a moral to this story? Probably but I have no idea what it would be.

Needless to say we played a couple rounds of Scrabble on Saturday. It was fun. But then I did discover the extent of my geekiness. As I was contemplating words I could make with the letter Q I started to mix reality as we know it in the English Dictionary and the world of Sci-Fi. So, is "Quark" really a word or a character from DS9? And "Quid" is that real currency or something from some Sci-Fi show I watch? This quagmire I probably should have kept to myself but I voiced it out loud while Jes and I were playing. She thought it was better if I kept that to myself and didn't repeat it to anyone. Apparently there are still aspects of Scrabble that can have the leper effect.

I told this story to my husband while we were watching Poirot on Sunday night. At first he agreed with Jes and gave me that same look - like my ear had just fallen off onto the couch cushion. But then as I explained a little further he had to agree with me. I think his response was "That is uber geeky; but I can see what you mean."

As if that little discovery wasn't enough as we were driving back to Jes's house to play some scrabble we passed by the outdoor rink in Roseville and the conversation went something like this:

R: "So, there's the skating rink in Roseville"
J: "Yeah, why?"
R: "Oh, I love to skate but I don't' know anyone else who does"
J: "You are kidding right?"
R: "No, why?"
J: "Cause I love to skate only I can never find anyone else to go with me."

1 comment:

Newt said...

faqir, qaid, qanat, qat, qintar, qoph, tranq