Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Holiday Cheer

I recieved many wonderful and thoughtful gifts for Christmas this year. A beautiful handmade scarf that I officially wear as my Happy Scarf, cookies and fudge (which I shared with my brother in law and he thought he died and went to heaven), a clock radio that docks my Ipod, slippers, and more.

But what I want to share with you was one particular gift that was the first of its kind that I have ever received. And it touched me deeply.

You know I am an avid reader. I always have my nose in a book. I have received a few books as gifts, including one that my brother had signed by the author - who also happended to be a great "B" movie actor. But never, have I gotten a book that someone bought and inscribed to me. It was a story the person loved and they wanted to share it with me. It's a story about life long friendships and the joys and sorrows encountered through life.

I've read about half the book, every chance I had this weekend I curled up and read it. It's a wonderful story. But what makes it even better is knowing why I am reading it. And those handwritten words at the beginning of it written just for me from someone I adore.

3 comments:

Jay said...

That is an extremely cool gift.

Tink said...

I got the warm-fuzzies inside. ((HUG))

graymama said...

It makes me happy to imagine you wearing and enjoying the scarf so much :-)

There is something very special about an inscription inside a book chosen with care. My WHE giftee person said she liked to find old books that had been inscribed to someone else. I lucked out and found her one. Even I became lost in who these people were and what their lives might have been like.