Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Happy Friday Dance works and here's why:

When I got home from work Friday night the hubster went and got the mail. And told me that I got some package from Montana. But it wasn't just SOME package, I got THE Christmas present. You know the one. The one that you hope to find every year that is going to make someone very very happy that year.

And so I did another happy dance.

I've mentioned to ya'll that I LOVE the author James Lee Burke. And that I got my dad into reading him. And that now we talk about the books on the phone. And it just seems to be one more thing to make the miles seem less between us. Ok, so I was on the JLB website because I wanted to write down the order of the books for dad and make sure I had them right when I noticed he had a store. And in the store he was selling t-shirts that advertised the business that the main character of his books runs. It's a little bait shop that he has because his home is on the bayou. So he has little fishing boats and people can come out to his place, get some bait, and go fishing for the day.

So I ordered a shirt for each of us. That was back in August. And I never heard anything. Then in October I got a "Form" email from the JLB website apologizing for not keeping up with emails etc. but that a member of the family was very ill and they had been traveling seeking medical assistance. So I sort of wrote off the gift as not going to happen (or at least not for the holidays). But in November I decided it couldn't hurt to just send a little follow-up note just in case. And I got a response. And then in the mail I got the shirts. And so last night I was dancing around my dining room waving the very cool t-shirt. And even better I get to give it to him in person! I will get to see the look on his face. I'm so excited.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How totally awesome!!

Funny enough... I guess I've read some James Lee Burke before because I recognized your description of the bait shop and the Bayou. However, I haven't read him recently because I could not recall for the life of me the author's name. You've just solved the mystery for me!

Thanks, Newt! You've just given me a great Christmas present. I think I'll go to the library tomorrow... :o)

graymama said...

Sometimes the universe has a better plan than we could ever have for ourselves :-) The t-shirts have arrived at the perfect time!

Jay said...

Very cool! Glad it got there in time for you to take it to your dad. I bet he's gonna love it!

Kell said...

That's wonderful! And so exciting that you get to give it to him in person. Just makes it that much more special.