Sunday, December 14, 2008

No swearing and no one died.................

So, along with a relationship/marriage comes the art of dealing with difficult situations. If any of you are like hubster and I we tend to get a little cranky at each other while trying to complete big projects, heavy lifting, etc.

Problem solving tends to be done with a little snapping and snarling.

I was amazed at how well we managed to deal with getting the couch into the living room.

First we had to take the topper off the truck. This thing is heavy. Too heavy. And it gets heavier the older we get.

It's probably upwards of 18o pounds. And big and awkward to try to maneuver. And even though we have a pretty good system to remove it from the truck I still managed to hurt myself. I still don't know how I did it but the topper started to tilt and I think it took part of the palm of my hand with it while the rest of my hand remained upright. Basically my thumb and wrist went completely numb. Which made it interesting to try to get the thing down on the ground. Somehow though we managed.

We ran a few errands including stopping at Trader Joes for some fresh bread and wine. Their 3 buck chuck now is available in White Zin. Pretty good too. Most excellent with cheese and crackers.

Ok, so we got the couch without a hitch. A nice gentleman helped us load it in the truck.

We pull up to the curb, the hubster had already removed the door stopper/slider thingy from the screen. We bunjee'd the storm door open and we were set to move the couch. Damn, it looked awfully big for our tiny doorway. And it was wrapped in all sorts of protective stuff. Wrapped so well you really couldn't hold on to anything. So we basically carried the couch by the plastic. Wad some up in our fists and lug it to the door.

Which of course it wouldn't fit through. Ok, back up a bit and take off the couch legs. No problem. Then we get it 2/3 of the way in but it got wedged because of all the cardboard protection on the one side (this end up). No biggie, hubster goes out the back door and comes around the front. I go around to the back door and appear inside the front door. Push, shove, push, shove, angle, tilt, push, shove and whoosh, the couch is in the living room. Hurray!

We remove all the packaging, put the legs back on and there you have it, a nice couch. Lay the blankets on it. I sit down and up comes Sophie, Lily and Caleb. Yes, Caleb had his little front paws on my knee and he wanted pets. (that is the true reason we got a couch - Caleb is braver on a couch).

Ok, so we take all the packaging material and bring it out to the garage for Tuesday's garbage. Then, sigh.........we have to put the topper back on.

My hand has recovered somewhat. I now have minimal feeling back in my whole hand. But there is a nice dark bruised area.

Getting the topper on is actually easier than getting it off. I was able to keep the majority of my share of the weight on my good hand. When the hubster needed me to lift higher I ended up having to use my shoulder because my hand just couldn't do it. But, we got it up and on.

A few advils and some ice and all was mended shortly there after.

Today it hurts like the dickens but I can make a fist and there is strength back in my hand.

So no biggie. And we never once swore or yelled at one another.

After this last incident though hubster has decided he is going to put up a pully system in the garage so we can raise and lower the topper easier. Without so much reliance on our own strength.

5 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

next step, of course, is pics for us showing the couch in the living room covered with happy dogs and cats

Anonymous said...

Way to go!

I totally get the snips and snarls. I am that way. And perhaps my better half is too.... Maybe. ;)

Usually our projects start off with both of us, and end with him. I quit so easily. Something I am not proud of but can admit.

Glad your hand is better! Hopefully it heals all the way up!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

YAY! New Couch!

DH had to totally disassemble our old couch bed to get it into the guest/office/work out room! And, two hours before Farmer, Jr's birthday party (because, I didn't want two couches in the living room!)

g-man said...

I'm glad that you saved on the delivery charges, and I'm glad that the hubster will make a pulley system, good man.

I posted a while back on our new sofa and getting it in the house ( http://manoverboard.zgionline.com/?p=878 ). What a pain in the ass.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, we fuss at each other like crazy with projects like that. It's all his fault for being so bossy!

Can't wait to see the pics!