Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Winter Solstice

Hey there everybody.




December 21st is my absolute favorite day of the year. Why you ask? Why does Newt go out and dance around a bonfire and worship mother nature?



Cause from then on out the days get longer. The sun shines just a little bit longer and hope springs eternal.



In honor of it being lazy winter days. And even more importantly, in honor of the ASPCA and all the wonderful things it does I have decided to start another walk-a-thon. Yep, that's right.



Allow me to introduce to you "Paws of Promise"



Much like with MS and Feets of Fancy this summer I will walk and walk and walk all season long.



I realize that the purse strings are tight for everyone so if you can't donate money contact your local shelter and see what supplies they need. Even old blankets and towels are helpful donations for a shelter. Or pick up a few things for dogs/cats at the dollar spot at Target. Leashes and collars and toys are always needed. They also need volunteers. I don't know of a shelter that doesn't need folks to come over and walk a few dogs.



But if you can donate, now through the end of the year there is a challenge grant and every dollar donated gets doubled. How cool is that????



I will update weekly on progress. I will not be tracking donations as I just put a direct link to the ASPCA on the site so that they can get credit for the challenge grant.

If you want to comment and leave what you did that would be awesome. I'll post the list on the blog page. My goal is to have things like: Donated cash, donated time, donated collars, donated blankets on the sidebar.

Thanks everyone! Happy Winter Solstice. Spring is just around the corner!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grasshopper's birthday is the 21st! I get to celebrate doubly.

Have a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Spriiiiiiing......

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Look at you all walking for the health of humans and pets. Way to go!

Target dollar spot is awesome for pets! You got it!

Happy FWFD!

(Oh, I love really long and sun filled days...but, Happy Solstice to ya!) ;-)

Chatty said...

I think that's a wonderful idea - and you're right - the shelters can always use stuff like blankets and towels - and they love getting that egg carton foam stuff people use as mattress pads, too - just in case anybody is getting a new one...I'm thinking I have some towels and a dog bed that isn't getting much use...so I'll drop them by my local shelter.
I just stopped by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Kell said...

Wonderful idea! I'll go through my linen closet-early spring cleaning.

Tink said...

You've got such a big heart! I loves ya Newty.

Aunt Jackie said...

Lovely and wonderful, there are angels in the world truly. :)

Hope you guys have a wonderful holiday. Hugs and Cheers from me and Mine!!!

xoxox

Michael Knight Rambo said...

Hey, Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I think blogger ate my comment on this post at some point!
Anyhoo, happy New year!

My brand-new 13yo asked his party attendees to consider alternative party gifts. He received $10 donated to a literacy program in his name, 10 pounds of canned people food and 10 pounds of canned dog food! I'm adding some old towels and taking them to the shelter. (Did I mention I'm proud of my kid?)