Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Peeeple

I work in a hectic, deadline driven environment. One in which most of my co-workers are either tackling, solving, or digging up problems. It's the nature of a software implementation. We are combining multiple divisions, multiple methods, personalities, styles, techniques, philosophies, etc.


Through it all, no matter how bad it gets, it seems that the group manages to keep spirits high, stay friendly, goal minded, and for the most part, positive.

And everyone has learned to develop pretty thick skin.

People will yell, rant, ask the impossible, and leave patting each other on the back and laughing.

The only thing that perplexes me is the total lack of "personality" in the majority of the work spaces. At most there might be a picture of a kid and a coffee mug. Other than that, nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

If it weren't for the presence of name signs and a monitor turned on you wouldn't even know someone worked at most of the cubes.

Our cubes aren't temporary. Neither are the employees.

Some are consultants, but they are long term consultants, like, years worth of consulting.

Anywhoodle, why am I babbling about this?

Well, I had been away for three weeks. We moved to a brand new area while I was gone. As soon as I got in on Monday I set up my work area.

My boss (who is located in a different building) came over to visit. As she came around the corner I hear:
"Oh, I knew I could depend on Newt to have the happy cube, everything else around here looks like a morgue"

Is it the IT world? I'm new to geekdom. I just can't figure out the sparseness. I mean, we are at work more than we are awake any where else. Why woudn't you want a happy place to work.

So, this is my happy place, and apparently the one ray of sunshine among a sea of nothingness.

Don't I have the prettiest puppies in the world?

***

This weekend the hubster and I are going to go to Como Conservatory. Drink in some green, some moisture, some heat. We can't wait.

6 comments:

Christy said...

SUch a cute cubicle. My office is the sunshine office. People always say it looks like a kid words here. I have posters of Tinkerbell and Strawberry Shortcake and Emily Strange on my walls. =o)

R.E.H. said...

That's a neat-o cubicle right there. Of course one should personalize their work space like that. Feeling good and "at home" at work should improve the quality of the work you do, right?

Tink said...

I have a couple of star wars figurines duking it out on my monitor. Other than that though... Well then there's the tink cup with the pens in it. Oh, and my magic wand. Let's not forget all the cards lined up on the shelf. Yeah, nevermind. I though I had a case, but I don't.

J said...

The non-personalized office does seem to be rampant in the tech world. Most people I work with have offices that have a computer (or two), a drawer of files, some manuals, and that's it. I've only got a picture of my wife surrounded by piles of work. Its not that I don't have stuff I can put out, I just don't have the room for it.

Jay said...

I would expect a bunch of IT people to have action figures all over their cubicles. Maybe a little Bat Man, some Star Trek guys and Storm Troopers.

Love all the pics of the puppies.

Kell said...

Definitely a ray of colorful happiness in that cubicle.