Thursday, November 08, 2007

Vacation Recap

1. Had Persian food when I arrived – very yummy. Fabulous lamb dish with basmati rice and roasted nuts.

2. Got a cat sculpture from a friend of the family as a gift

3. Hillcrest is a wonderful area of San Diego, one of my favorite spots.

4. And the men are all wonderfully good looking. Which figures since the vast majority are gay.

5. Went on Sunday to see my Aunt Louise.

6. My Uncle Glen died last month. He was a wonderful man. They were married for 65 years.

7. She was telling us that she couldn’t find his wedding ring and she was afraid it was lost. And it broke her heart.

8. While looking at their photos in their bedroom I found the ring. It was in one of those places that is in plain sight but you would never normally look for it there in a million years.

9. She cried when I helped her hang it around her neck.

10. We took her to In and Out burger for lunch.

11. She gave me one piece of advice: “Enjoy each other every minute of every day, cause honey, 65 years goes by in the blink of an eye.”
12. She also called that night to say how much she enjoyed our visit and to say thank you again for finding his ring. She’s so cute.

13. Monday we went to see my Aunt Betty and Uncle Phil. It was a perfect day. When we visit them the whole entire world goes away and it’s just the 5 of us. And life is perfectly wonderful.

14. Tuesday morning I went to the coffee shop with dad and hung out with the gang. They are too fun. Two of them are now dating each other. Both Roe and Bob lost their spouses within a few weeks of each other. And they have just enjoyed each other’s company. But now, I think they have found something more, something wonderful. They look so incredibly happy it is just, well, it gives you the warm fuzzies to see them together.

15. The only restroom is over at the pet store so I excused myself and headed over there for a few minutes. Of course I picked up some toys and treats for the puppies. Can’t come home to my babies empty handed. The lady gave me samples of some new all natural treats. The ingredients are all the things we would put in an apple cookie. The only thing missing is sugar.

16. Back at the coffee shop I gave a few of the cookies to Jack to give to his puppy. But Jack decided to eat one. He said they were bland but pretty tasty.

17. We also went over to See’s Candy to get some chocolate I promised to bring back to someone.

18. Wednesday we went back to the coffee shop to visit for a while and then we left for the airport. We stopped in Old Town for lunch. Wonderful lunch at Guadalajara’s.

19. I haven’t mentioned the fires. Mom and Dad took me for a quick tour. It was devastating and sad.

20. The homes that were lost seemed so random. And when everything around you for miles is fine, not even singed, and your home burns to the ground. Well damn, what the hell did you do to the karma cow to deserve that?

21. I didn’t have the heart to take pictures of the homes. It seemed so wrong to do that.

22. But I have to say that the mountains around the area looked like something from NASA of Mars. Nothing but dirt and rocks. Absolutely no vegetation left. It was spooky weird.

23. I noticed a sign at the coffee shop. It read: Pay It Forward – Free Carpentry work. That just warmed my heart. People helping people.

24. Roe, one of the coffee shop ladies, is a dog sitter. She currently has a dog from someone that lost their home. She isn’t charging them for his care and she doesn’t care how long she has him. It’s her way of helping Pay it Forward.

6 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

I want to go on vacation now! :)

R.E.H. said...

Love the Pay-It-Forward part there. Isn't it just wonderful how people always seem to rise up to the occasion and become concerned citizens in any form of crisis?

BTW. Why do women always think gay guys are good looking? Is it just the unavailablity thing?

Newt said...

r.e.h. - oh honey, I find a lot of straight men handsome too, don't you worry about that. But as a married woman, there is less guilt admiring a gay man.

Jay said...

Glad you had a great time on your visit back home.

Tink said...

I'm glad you had a good time!!

That line from your aunt made my chest constrict. I hate thinking about losing the people I love. But when we don't, there it is, and we realize we didn't appreciate people enough.

Kell said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. That was so wonderful that you were there to find your aunt's ring. Got the warm fuzzies just thinking about that.

Welcome back.