Thursday, November 01, 2007

Overheard Above the water cooler

My company has what I earlier referred to as a rustic campus. It is composed of 7 dilapidated fantastic buildings off a county road in a relatively rural setting. For whatever reason they still use a paging system over the loud speakers. So every so often you hear "Sam Stone, there is a call for you on extension 1324". I've already learned to tune it out for the most part. Hopefully no one ever actually needs to get a hold of me. But today, for some reason everyone tuned into the page, it went something like this:

"All employees in building 7 must exit the building immediately, there really is a fire."

We are in building 6 so it wasn't any big deal for us. But I wish I had my camera for all the heads that popped up out of the cubes. And the subsequent discussions.

"Did I hear that right?"
"Should we go check on everyone?"
"Shit, there goes the project"
"Huh, I wonder if you can see any flames"
"So, is anyone going to go check?"

And all the heads popped back out of site and we resumed working.


Tomorrow night I am meeting with Girl J for some quality girl time and people watching at Mall of America. Fan-fucking-tastic people watching.

Then Saturday morning I fly off for California to see my family. Yes, one week on the job and then off on vacation. Life is good!

So, kids, I sign off for now. I will see you Tuesday for WWC.

Hugs to all!

11 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

Hey, I worked in a building six once! Nice that you all cared enough about your fellow employees! :)

Anonymous said...

There really IS a fire? I can't help but wonder at the genesis of that announcement. Have fun at R & B's!

Coffespaz said...

I love the cube cities! Nothing says mole people like heads popping up, its pretty funny to see.

Have fun at the Mall. One day I'll get to see that wonderful place.

PS - good guess...but no, try again! :-)

Karen said...

Work one week and off the next. This seems like a really nice work schedule. Are they hiring? I am interested.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Kell said...

That's such a great visual on heads popping up. Did you ever more? Or does what happen in building 6 stay in building 6?

Have a wonderful trip.

Christy said...

So how is building six?

There really IS a fire, hehe, it is still they had to say that.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny about the paging system!

MOA is the greatest people watching place EVAH!!!!

Have a great and safe vacation!

Jay said...

I love the "there REALLY is a fire". LOL .. Kind of like "hey! I'm not kidding people!" haha

I would have gone to look and see if there were any flames shooting out of the building.

Tink said...

You should have run out with marshmallows!

Have fun on the girlie day. *Sniffle* ;)

R.E.H. said...

Oh, that's my kind of job. Work a week - vacation a week :)

I can see the announcer's reason for emphasizing there really is a fire, as some places do drills so often, one stops taking it seriously.

Still, has a funny ring to it though.

And, hey! Thanks for adding me to your blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Sweet job you've got going there! So was there a fire???