Monday, November 26, 2007

Chef Newt

I have a confession

I don’t cook

Not in the chef sense

More in the pre-fab sense

But once in a while I get an urge

And I actually cook

I found a recipe for one of my favorite appetizers

So I gave it a try

I went to the grocery store with my list.

I got green onions because they didn’t have scallions

Turns out they are basically the same

Garlic bulb

Minced peeled fresh ginger

I had to settle for a jar of minced ginger – they didn’t have fresh

A jar of hoisin sauce

A bottle of Asian sesame oil (which by the way smells incredible)

Waterchestnuts

Ground chicken – they didn’t have that either so we settled for turkey

Later that night I pulled out the recipe and started making dinner

I even used tiny prep bowls for adding ingrediants later

I’ve never used prep bowls before

I don’t actually own prep bowls per say, just tiny little glass dessert bowls

But I followed the recipe. Adding an extra teaspoon of Sesame oil because it smelled so damn good

And I got a little giddy when I realized that a few of my items didn’t have any English printed on the label

I felt like a chef – just for a second it was exhilirating

Then I called in the hubby and we sat down to have Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

They were fantastic

The hubster complimented me several times on how tasty dinner was

I have set a new bar for my cooking excellence

It only took 9 years

Up until now tater tot casserole was the fanciest thing I make

Well, I did try baklava once. And that did come out freak’n incredible.

So let’s just say I play chef once every 5 years or there abouts.

But now I’m kinda thinking I want to try this a little more often.

But that would mean I have to find recipes, plan the meals and shop for them accordingl
And I’m not very good at that

Heating a frozen pizza is just way easier

However I do have more cookbooks and squirreled away recipes than a non-cook should have

So maybe I’ll give it a try

Even if it’s only one meal a week or maybe two

It was sorta fun

And satisfying

Here’s a picture of dinner – looks tasty eh?

On Saturday I went out with Nettie. We had a ball
And she gave me a surprise.

She couldn’t resist. Not after my raging rant

8 comments:

Jay said...

Cooking is fun. Having to follow recipes and do a lot of prep work sucks. LOL

Those do look yummy.

And I love the t-shirt!

Anonymous said...

So where's this recipe for tater tot casserole?

Anonymous said...

OMG, I didn't know there was anyone else out there that cooked the way I do. Only I don't bother with the prep bowls...too many extra dishes!

Yay Nettie for finding the perfect shirt.

Christy said...

If only being a good cook weren't so damn expensive I might jump on the cooking better train, too.

Tink said...

That shirt ROCKS.

And that dish looks delish.

I love cooking. Once a month I pick a bunch of new recipes off the net and have Hoop pick what we're going to eat for the week. Last night was chicken Swiss casserole with broccoli and Peruvian sweet onions. MMMM.
My favorite meal to make is Marsala Porkchops, pan baked with mushrooms and broccoli.

It's amazing I don't weigh 300 lbs.

Nettie said...

I'm looking forward to making those for lil A and I. ooooorrrrr having you make them for us, yeah, I like that idea better. Let's say saturday at 5.

Chelle Y. said...

I don't cook either! Not that I can't, I just don't like it.

Oh, I LOVE that shirt. I was raised on the street too! :)

Where did she get it?

R.E.H. said...

Love the shirt!

I actually do some "serious" cooking every once in a while too. Sometimes it turns out great... sometimes... not so great.

I'll never forget the time I tried to make my own New York style cheesecake. I took it to my mother's place... and even she said to me.

"I'm pretty sure the birds are going to like it"