Friday, October 28, 2005

Stupid People

I finished reading The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. It was a great book. Very fast read. I ordered it despite the mixed reviews from readers. Now, there seemed to be only two reviews, they either loved it or hated it. Those that hated it gave the reason that King never finished the story. He just left you hanging.

Because I know that not all mysteries are ever solved I didn't let that deter me. And I have to say that from pretty much the first sentence the ENTIRE point of this book is that mankind loves mysteries. We love those legendary stories that have no explanation or answer. Bigfoot, lights in the sky, the second gunman, and many more.

The point of the book was so obvious that he might as well have reached from the pages and punched me in the nose. Which by the way he actually does in his afterward. He actually knows he will get two types of mail: Love it and Hate it. He then proceeds for 4 1/2 pages to explain why he wrote the book the way he did.

So this begs to question what the hell is wrong with people? Does this mean that there are people out there who read books but don't comprehend a single word they read. I pity them. Or, are there simply two types of people in this world - those that love the mystery of life, and those that can only find happiness in cold hard reality and fact. I pity those people. And I can't imagine going through my life without wonder, without mystery, without my head floating in the clouds.

Einstein once said: "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

I'm happy to live in the Einstein, King camp. It's definitely the more magical place to be.

No comments: