Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ironic help

So, I had a craft show on Saturday. Selling my jewelry at a local church. And I overheard the most interesting conversation.

An older gentleman - retired with time on his hands went on a Mission for the church. Where I am not sure but I did hear that he went on a safari (so assuming somewhere in Africa) but he was also talking about Ukraine. So, maybe he went to both.

He's discussing how poor everyone was. And how the village was so thankful for the 9 bikes they brought with them. And he went on and on about the deplorable conditions of the places he went to. How everyone was hungry, sleeping outside, waste everywhere, insufficient sewage drainage, etc. etc. etc.

Then he goes on to tell everyone about all the shopping they did while they were in these poor areas. And what great deals they got! And how they decided it was worth it to pay 14 bucks for a tailor made dress shirt. 14 BUCKS! And how his wife scored quite the deal with 7 YARDS of fine silk fabric for only $4 bucks! Yes, I repeat, she paid 4 DOLLARS for 7 yards of silk. Does anyone else besides me find it ironic that they were bargaining for deals in a place so poor that they have no food, or proper shelter? I'm sorry but I see so many levels of wrong that I can't even begin to rant!

Just glancing around on the web - fake silk will cost you 6.99 on sale per yard. Real silk runs 9+ per yard. I'm sure there are better deals out there but I challenge anyone to find 7 yards of beautiful colored silk with designs for 4 bucks.

No comments: