Sunday, September 07, 2008

A Book that made things a little clearer

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson was getting these massive write-up's and nods of awesomeness for a first time author.

Costco had it for $14.95 which I couldn't say no to.

The first 50 pages of this book are hard to read. Not because they are badly written but because of the focus of the first part of the story.
The main character is in a car accident, is trapped in his burning car, and suffers severe burns. The author goes into great detail the accident and then the initial medical care. Trust me, it's hard to get through.

At least it was for me. See, I've been there. Not the trapped in the car, or the cooked alive part. But the 3rd degree burn part. The skin graft part. And maybe, having to read it, was a little too close to home for me. But on the other hand, it made several of the things I went through make more sense. I never read up on burn treatment because I really didn't want to know any more about what happened to me. But this book sort of forced the issue. And so, now, many years later I understand a lot of the things I went through.

Thankfully, I was not burned the same way, or any where near the extent this poor character was. He's burned on like 90% of his body. Where as I just had the lower half of one leg suffer 3rd degree burns.

Anywhoodle, the book is excellent. He deserves the attention he is getting. I found myself caring about all of the main characters. And LOVING the stories that are woven throughout this book.

I had no expectations for this book. Other than curiosity. I almost gave up in the first 50 because it was so hard to stomach. But then, suddenly, we turned a corner and from then on it was sweet sweet literary music to my mind.

Last year I found a way to turn my ugly burn memory into a beautiful symbol of rebirth and survival.
This story, in and of itself is a beautiful story about life, pain, loss and love. And finding a way to be okay with who we are.
The last sentence in the book, when I reached it, was bittersweet. I didn't want the story to end. I wanted to stay with the characters a little while longer.
I still am not ready to let go.
I LOVE when books have that effect on you.






10 comments:

Jay said...

That tat is awesome!

gary rith said...

Wow, what a way to celebrate your rebirth!

Tink said...

Considering what happened to Nash/Chris recently, I'm not sure I could stomach this book right now. But every time I go to a bookstore I pick it up because of the cover. It was nice to finally hear a review on it.

g-man said...

I too like a good story. I'm glad this one gave you some clarity.

Anonymous said...

When books take a hold of you and take on a life of their own and you get lost in them it is the best ever!!! I always want the author to have written more. Luckily I have been finding authors that are more published, and able to hold onto their effect a little longer.... (not that all are as good as the first, but it is worth a try!!)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I love it when a book sucks me in that way? Then the end comes and as happy as I am to have had such a good read? I'm left with that somewhat left behind feeling of "what happened then? What happened next?"

Anyhow, it is so good to find some of ourself in a book too...

Happy Monday! And, Happy Reading! [Which reminds, me, I have to go online and recheck out the last book I borrowed from the library -- still 60 pages shy of the finality.]

Kell said...

I was going to ask you how you were liking that book--I was intrigued. I'm getting to the point that I have to listen to books on tape since I'm knitting so much. I miss the reading but I'm a little obsessed right now. I read a review of Brad Meltzer's new book The Book of Lies and now I really want to read that. There's just not enough hours in the day!!!!! I brought 3 books back with me after visiting my Mom.

Fortune Cookies said...

I love when a book grabs me like that. I'm glad it was so healing for you. When I was a nurse, I did some work in the burn unit, so I've been witness on the front lines to what you've endured, and let me say, although I do not have personal reference to the experience, I can certainly empathize. I love the tat! Great way to turn trauma into something beautiful!

Jo said...

Your phoenix is amazing, so powerful what it represents for you.

It also amazes me how you stuck with the book--that's grit, girl. I'm glad it sang for you after the tough start. I love-hate that feeling when a book ends & I'm still so attached, I just wander around sighing.

Janet said...

what a beautiful phoenix! I have one too, wanna see?