Friday, February 23, 2007

A special friend

My friend Girl J is an amazing woman. I don't know how to express how much I admire her. She's fearless, passionate, and kind. She will do anything in her power to help a friend. I just adore her for so many reasons. And I'm so very thankful to call her my friend.


On Wednesday when we were at the mall we were sitting down at dinner and a man in a wheelchair rolled up to the table behind us. He moved himself to a regular chair and enjoyed dinner with someone.
One of the girls in our group noticed he had on dog tags. And so we got to talking about going over and talking to him. Saying Thank You for the service he has done for our country. While all the rest of us remained seated, for reasons individually personal, Girl J got up and caught up with him before he left. She thanked him for his service in the military and they got to talking a little bit. They exchanged names and he told her a little about his story.
And then today she sent us a picture and a link to information on him receiving the Purple Heart. This is Shane Parsons. And he is an American Hero. But to me, so is Girl J.

9 comments:

mike said...

Shane and those like him have earned my deepest respect and gratitude. However, the person on his left isn't fit to push his wheelchair.

Jay said...

No matter what anyone thinks of this war you still have to honor and support the men and women who are over there. They are just doing their duty. He is a real hero.

Kell said...

There was an editorial in our paper about how you can't say you support the troops but not the administration that sent them. What a bunch of hooey!

Thank you Girl J for making the time to talk to Mr. Parsons and you Newt for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

WOW! While my own personal beliefs do not, in any way, support the "war" in Iraq... I'll put all that crap aside to shout out my support for Girl J. What a classy gal to thank someone making such an intense sacrifice.

Girl J for president!

Tink said...

I've got goosebumps. I in no way support the war. But I DO support the troops. Bless Girl J for taking an interest, and to you for sharing his story.

Abbee Normalle said...

Thanks for sharing the story. Just imagine what other stories we would have if we had the courage of Girl J and Shane Parsons.

Tink said...

Everything OK? I miss you!

Did that sound needy?

graymama said...

Thinking of you :-) You are an amazing woman!

Anonymous said...

From a family member of Shane, thank each and every one of you for the support you give. May we all be like Girl J and thank our soliders! They are doing their job and they are doing it for their pride in the US. Shane is a hero to us.
A smile to a wounded warrier goes a very long way!
Thank you, Shane's Aunt