Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Animal People

So, I’m an animal person

Well, duh, of course you all know that. If the obscene amount of furry creatures in my home didn’t give that little fact away I’m not sure what did. But reading this, sent me over to this which had me sitting here at work in tears. So I had to go back to this email I got from my dad that same morning in order to be able to breathe again.


If I didn't have animals . . . .

I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.
My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.
All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.
When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like a kennel.
When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through fuzzy bodies who beat me there.
I could sit on the couch and my bed the way I wanted, without taking consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.
I would not have strange presents under my Christmas tree --dog bones, stuffed animals, toys, treats nor would I have to explain to people why I wrap them.
I would have money ....and no guilt to go on a real vacation.
I would not be on a first-name basis with 6 veterinarians, as I put their yet unborn grandkids thru college.
The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE.
My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.
My house would not look like a day care center, toys everywhere.
My pockets would not contain things like poop bags, treats and an extra leash.
I would no longer have to Spell the words B-A-L-L-, F-R-I-S-B-E-E, W-A-L-K, or T-R-E-A-T.
I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.
I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog/cat ties them down too much.
I'd look forward to spring and the melting of snow instead of dreading mud season.
I would not have to answer the question "Why do you have so many dogs/cats?" from people who will never have the joy in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by someone as close to an angel as they will ever get.

And then I went back to this story

And this one

And I felt a little better. And I hope in time that Jeffrey will find peace and maybe a new furry one to love.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Having to put down a pet is the hardest thing in the world to do. They really are part of the family.

Tink said...

I make mental lists like that all the time.

If I didn't have dogs-

I could go grocery shopping right after work instead of having to stop by the house first.

Hoop and I wouldn't have a curfew on Saturday nights.

I'd have more underwear.

I would never have to worry about serving my guests furry food.

But I would miss them so much. The price I pay is nothing compared to the joy they bring me.

Kell said...

Since I agreed to wait until after our trips before getting another dog, I've held up my end of the bargain since it really is for the best. And there are times it's nice to just leave for the weekend without having to arrange for a pet sitter or to sleep in without having a persistent puppy telling you it's time for her walk. But, actually, I miss all that. And I think Al will be ready, too.

Newt said...

Jay - I dread it more than words can say when I loose one of our babies. It terrifies me sometimes.

Tink - We do find ourselves once in a while thinking "what if..." but then we realize that our life is as happy as it is because of them. And when you look into those sweet faces you can't help but melt.

Kell - Oh goodie. I'm so excited for you. Fabulous vacations and then a puppy. This is going to be a banner year for you. And you've always got Jay and Mom to help with puppy sitting. I would bet they are more than willing.

Jeffrey Ricker said...

Bless you, my dear, and thanks.

graymama said...

If I didn't have a dog and 2 cats--

Buddy wouldn't have tasted animal hair from the carpet when learning to crawl.

There would be more room in the car during road trips.

I wouldn't have to tell animal-free family members to leave the black sorority chick pants at home.

Life just wouldn't be the same. I would hate it!