Sunday, February 11, 2007

Life unexpected

Life is relatively steady. We get up, we go about our day, we go to sleep. Sometimes the sameness of life can almost put us in a trance. That's not to say that life isn't enjoyable or boring. Not at all. It's just that there are stretches of time full of routine. And for many people that is the way they want to go about their life. I for one exist just fine in the quiet routine of our life.

But once in a while during those routine days and weeks a bright flash of somethingness brightens up our day.

It could be meeting new friends for lunch and having a great conversation while consuming a basket of fries and a burger. And knowing after lunch that you have a wonderful new set of friends to spend time with. Or perhaps getting together with someone whose in town for one reason or another. Even if it's only a few hours. This is especially nice when you realize the instant that you meet that they really are a friend. And the only sadness is that this perfect friend is too far away to meet for coffee on a regular basis.

Or, that bright flash could be the FedEx man at your door on a VERY cold Saturday morning. A little surprised by his presence you open the door and find that he has a special floral delivery for you. You check the name and the address to make sure he's actually at the right house. And then once you confirm that you are supposed to have the box you go skipping back into the house with your box of flowers. And you open the box and inside is something alive, and beautiful, and green and many colored. And the smell is intoxicating. And then you read the card and tears are brought to your eyes. Because a friend was so kind and so thoughtful and thought maybe during this cold winter that you might like to have a ray of spring in your home. And you are speechless for a while. And every time you look up from where you are sitting you see those flowers and you smile. And your heart is warm and fuzzy.

What I love best about these flashes is that for days you can walk around on some sort of "high". You can bask in the brightness even after it has gone. Because you have new friends, and new memories.

I want to thank everyone for being a flash of brightness in my life.

Thank you for making me laugh
Thank you for writing blogs that always bring a smile to my face
Thank you for writing blogs that let me know that I'm not alone - that everyone has good days and bad, drama, and emotional roller coasters
Thank you for recommending books and movies
Thank you for sharing your children and the wonderful things they do and say
Thank you for sharing your photography and the beautiful pictures that you take
Thank you for a painting so beautiful of my happy place
Thank you for sharing your pets
Thank you for saying let's meet for lunch
Thank you for letting me know I have a place to stay anytime I want to come visit
Thank you for knitting a scarf I wear every day and think of you with fondness
Thank you for the trail mix I munch on while at work
Thank you for being there - for knowing if I need to bend an ear I can email you and you'll "listen"
Thank you for sending me spring.

Thank you all for being my friend.

You truly are a brightness in my life.

6 comments:

Kell said...

It's a special person who can share her heart so openly and fully.

And I'm thankful to have found your friendship and your blog. It's bright part of my day.

Betty said...

You're quite welcom. LOL. I am sure you do the same for all of us.

Jay said...

And THANK YOU for being so awesome and sharing so much with everyone here on your blog.

Anonymous said...

And thank you for almost always posting something that makes me smile or just give me something to think about. This is a happy place.

Tink said...

That was a truly magnificent post. It was so good it made me use the word "magnificent." ;)

Who couldn't love you girl? You're one of the most kick-ass friends I've ever had. Thank you for being you.

graymama said...

Thank you for...

always being kind and thoughtful

making me laugh and smile

reminding me of a city that was my first home away from home

sharing your joy of the written word

sharing your love for your sweet animals

and last but not least, just being you

I love you, my friend :-)