Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Newt Ponders

Since seeing/posting/thinking about Shane Parsons I have begun to understand some points of view that previously I gave the same credit I give Oprah, Dr. Phil and Pat Robertson – that would be none – zero- zip – nada.

I am 100% opposed to the Iraq war – or as I prefer to call it, Commander Coo Coo Bananas own private little vendetta and handout to his business buddies.

But by saying and believing that I realized that it belittles the fact that Shane lost his legs, and that 3,000 soldiers died. And if I had to express my feelings to his face I don’t think I could. And maybe that was why I couldn’t go talk to him. I wasn’t ashamed for my beliefs but I am ashamed at what Bush has gotten us into.

I don’t want to take away or tarnish the beliefs that Shane holds. Or the widows or the children who no longer have one of their parents.

If I was a soldier I would have to believe that there was a reason for what I was doing. And for me to say that the war is senseless makes me think back to Vietnam. And how horribly our soldiers were treated when they came home.

I know that it’s different. Completely different. And that there isn’t a person out there that doesn’t support the men and women of our military. No matter how they feel about the war they will always support the soldiers.

But how do you look them in the eye when you truly believe that they died or were injured for no real reason? I truly believe that this war has nothing to do with terrorism or making us safe.

There are people out there, and the whitehouse has poured out the propaganda, saying that if you aren’t for the war you are for the terrorists – period. And you absolutely can’t truly support the troops.

In a round about way I understand how some think if you oppose the war you don’t support the troops. But then I realized that they say that because they can’t wipe the blood from their hands. And this is how they cope with it. Given how much money those in power have gained from this war I’m sure they sleep quite well in their trillion dollar mansions. And they sit fat and happy in their towers of power. And somehow they justify the blood on their hands. I can’t fathom how but they do. They lie to themselves almost as much as they lie to the American people. And to our soldiers for that matter.

But the bottom line is, I don’t think I could look Shane in the face and tell him I don’t support this war. And that makes me think that those bastards are a little bit right. If I can’t look him in the eye how can I support him?

And that, my dear friends, is tearing me up inside.

7 comments:

Ellie said...

I believe if more people took time to think about all aspects of the war that they would find themselves in the same position you’re in today. Too many people take a stand and hold strong to it closing their eyes and ears to the other sides of the war. There is so much more going on in the war than what we see in the media. The feelings on a war are really never easy to deal with but maybe they shouldn't be.

Jay said...

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"

-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX) during the Kosovo military campaign in 1999.

"You can support the troops but not the president"

-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX) again in 1999.

"My job as majority leader is be supportive of our troops, try to have input as decisions are made and to look at those decisions after they're made ... not to march in lock step with everything the president decides to do."

-Senator Trent Lott (R-MS) also in 1999.

Opposing the President and his misguided war IS supporting the troops. Opposing the manner in which the President and the civilians at the Pentagon sent our troops into Iraq, with no real war plan, no plan for victory and no exit strategy IS supporting the troops.

Pointing out that the President STILL has no actually strategy in Iraq IS supporting the troops. The troops are expendable to Bush. They are pawns to him. He doesn't respect the members of the military. He sees them as suckers who exist only to die for the financial enrichment of him and his buddies in the Oil business and the Military Industrial Complex.

I don't think it's all that hard to support the troops and oppose the President and the lies he took us to war on.

And, the Repbulicans made the case convincingly in 1999 that that is not only possilbe, but is patriotic.

Sorry so long.

Kell said...

"But then I realized that they say that because they can’t wipe the blood from their hands"--Beautifully put and so true.

I hate that we have been put in this position. Yes, we support Shane and other soldiers, and we appreciate the job they are doing. We are so supportive, that we are trying to get them home. That doesn't diminish their role or their work in this false war--you have a right to your opinion. And you can look him the eye and support him as another American trying to survive this horrible situation.

I bet there are more military people who don't support this war than we think--they just think they can't voice that opinion.

And these thoughts are what makes you such a compassionate person, Newt. We need more people like you out there, saying what she thinks and caring.

Betty said...

I think the best way we can support our troops is to find a way to bring them home as soon as possible.

Tink said...

That was really profound girl, and beautifully written. Not that I supported the war before (because I didn't/don't) but I think you opened my eyes to what it really means to say "I support the troops." Hm. Things to ponder.

Anonymous said...

We heard a radio interview with a soldier that had just returned home. He stated that it made him so sad and angry that people thought they could support the troups, but not the war. To him, they were one and the same.

I don't suport the war, I've been opposed since day one. Yet, my heart goes out to those militry personal and families.

There's no good answer. I'm still in shock that he was re-elected...

Abbee Normalle said...

Well said Newt, but I do think you can support someone like Shane and still think the President did the wrong thing by starting this war. With Vietnam, people spat on the returning soldiers. People aren't doing that now and I think that shows support and empathy for the soldiers in this current situation, but allows us to protest so the rest of them get home.