Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Brain exercises

I”ve been reading a book called The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. And first let me say that it is a great story. And anyone can pick it up and read it. But let me also say: “DAMN” this man is smart. Well read, and well researched. Holy crap. On more levels than I can begin to describe I am loving this story. I feel like in some tiny little way I’m smarter for reading it. And more worldly. And just a little more well rounded a person. What I am most impressed about is that I feel better about myself for reading it. The author, bless him, has a way of writing a very intellectual story without making the reader feel stupid. Because trust me, if he wanted to he could have reduced me to a sobbing pile of mush that thinks I must have flunked out of kindergarten and never achieved much beyond that.

The story is a look into a literary world that I can’t even imagine. I read a lot of books but my retention is horrid. Where as these folks can quote stuff from a million different books. I can barely tell you my name on any given day let alone quote, recognize, add to, great things said by great people. Ok, grant you, when he wrote this he had all the resources in the world so it’s not like he did this all off the top of his head. BUT I know that people like the characters in this book exist. And man am I jealous of this skill and passion.

Anyway, if you like a good mystery that also teaches you a little something this is a great book. My brain doesn’t hurt, it more or less just feels a little exercised. And once in a while that is a great thing.

I do want to add here, as a warning, I am not finished with this book. I still have about 100 pages to go. So anything could happen. But so far, I am really enjoying this story. It’s fascinating. And fun. And intriguing.

This is the second book I have read by this author and I really like him.

5 comments:

Jay said...

It's always great when you feel like you have learned something after reading a good book.

My retention isn't all that great either. I know people who can toss around lines from books, movies and tv shows at will. I wish I could do that too.

Tink said...

Who are you?

Im kidding! But that's about where my retention is right now. Let us know if it finishes well so I can add it to my growing list of "Must Reads." :)

Kell said...

I love books like that. My list is getting so long! I need a speed reading class.

My retention isn't great either. I'm in awe of people who can come up with the perfect literary quote at the most eloquent moment. I only remember "Out, out damn spot." Not so impressive.

mike said...

Sounds great. I'll definitely have to check that out at the local 'brar'

Kell said...

How are you feeling, btw?