Monday, September 18, 2006

Downer Monday

***WARNING **** Emotional post ****** Don't read if you want to be happy *******

So it’s Monday and I’m not sure what all I want to say. So here’s a blog from the irrational gut:

I was sick all Sunday with anxiety of the hubster leaving for his trip. I shouldn’t be, but apparently I couldn’t turn my damn brain off. So I got a little scared that I was having that feeling right before something really bad happens. So I cleaned the house. I had to keep my brain focused on something other than hyperventilating. He got there ok. But the feeling hasn’t gone away. I guess the evil monster of the past resurfaces sometimes and I can’t seem to kick his ass back down to the depths he belongs in. The last time someone left for any length of time they never came back. I have complete faith in the hubster, I guess it’s myself I don’t have that much faith in. I’m not sure. Like I said, this is coming from the irrational part of me.

To make matters worse I had some McDonalds for lunch. Now I am actually sick to my stomach. Sheesh. That was a very stupid thing to do.

I’m also having serious anxiety over the pup we might bring home. Ok, here’s the story:
Last year I fell in love with a puppy on petfinder. She was another puppy mill rescue and she stole my heart. But I had to go out of town for several weeks so I put her future with me in fate’s hands. And sure enough she was adopted while I was away. My Aunt felt really bad that I wasn’t going to get her. I joked with my Aunt that maybe she’ll end up like Sophie and be returned. And damned if she wasn’t. Only when the shelter got a hold of her again they paired her with another dog so it became a two for one issue. And that would bring our dog count up to 4. Which is just too many. So, I put her out of my mind and stopped looking. Well, I stopped seriously looking. Then of course along came Cora. She’s darling. And we know what to do with her to bring out her puppy goodness. So on the eve of calling her foster mom and telling her we want her I find myself with a sick stomach and an aching heart. Total lb’s of the two dogs: 21 total lb’s of Cora: 21.
So, really the weight of dog in the house wouldn’t change right? But then I feel bad about Cora. She’s darling. And she needs a home too. So then I think about the fact that when we were meeting her 3 different people came up to see her. Not my lil Sophie dog, her. They thought she was the cutest thing. The store manager of the Petco we met at sat down on the sidewalk with us and talked to her and petted her. He thought she was awesome. Again, no one payed attention to my dog. And her Foster mom mentioned that she’s never even been to an adoption event. So part of me thinks maybe we should go for the 4 dog situation. I mean, truly my heart has always been with that other lil pup. For a year now. But then I feel like a horrible person for rejecting Cora. And I know Cora would be a great addition to the family and she would do well. ARGH! I’m damned either way I think. And is it fair to adopt Cora while I still pine for a different dog. And right now I can convince myself that Cora will be adopted the first time she goes to an adoption event. But what if she isn’t. What if a year from now I look and she is still listed. Then how bad would I feel? And no, I can’t bring the count up to 5. We’d have to move…………………..

Dang, this is quite the bummer post. All doom and gloom. Sheesh. I just don’t know what to do. And I miss my hubster. And that REALLY doesn’t help. The problem with having a best friend/soul mate is that no matter how strong I am as an individual, I am that much stronger with him by my side. So when he’s gone I feel sorta half alive.

So I guess I need to do some more house cleaning. The more I clean the less I can think. And then tonight I’ll talk to him about the pup stuff. And see what he thinks. And maybe he can talk me out of whatever I’m thinking.

I really shouldn’t have had McDonalds for lunch……………….

Where did I put those Tums??????

Well, so long and thanks for all the fish. I promise a happier post tomorrow.

7 comments:

Jay said...

Dang that's quite a dilemma you have there. Whish I had some brilliant advice for you. I think I would go with the one(s) that are least likely to get adopted. Kinda play the percentages there.

Tink said...

Aw Newt. You're going to give yourself an ulcer! 1st, I completely understand how you feel with hubby gone. But he'll be back. He loves you. Establish a system where you guys call each other at least -- times a day, even if it's just to leave a sweet message on the voicemail. And start a countdown. It really does help.

2nd, you need to follow your gut with this puppy situation. You're not going to be able to save them all. You'll end up like my Mom, the crazy dog lady. LOL. So make a pro/con list or something and figure out without a doubt who you want to bring home.

Don't hesitate to call or email if you need some friendly conversation OK?

Anonymous said...

awwww you're having a rough day...

First things first, you KNOW that man loves you and will be back just as soon as he possibly can. Trust in him.

I don't know what to tell you about the pups...it's causing you a lot of angst, maybe this isn't the right time for you to add to your family? Would making some time to volunteer at a shelter help your need to nurture unloved critters? It's a hard decision, like Tink said, you can't save them all...

Now, when you can't find anything else to clean come on over here...I'm sure I can find something for you! Heck, you can even bring the pups and see how they mingle with my bunch, it'll give you a taste of a really huge critter family!

Just know that everything will work out in the end...it may not seem like it at the time, but it all works out...

Kell said...

You're definitely having a Monday, aren't you, poor thing? Early in our marriage, I would stress and worry and fret about my hubby being gone, too. It's a normal reaction, even if you don't have a bad memory connected to it. I'm sure he's feeling the same way about you. Soul mates aren't one-sided.

Now, puppies. Oh my goodness this is hard. I think Tink has the right idea. You can't save them all, at least not right now, so maybe writing out a list will help. And Susan has a good point, too. Maybe you could volunteer to help fill that need in you. Maybe you could be a foster parent? I thought about doing that but Al said I'd be standing outside my front door saying, "No, no puppies here. No siree, no puppies to see, just keep on moving."

F&W said...

Oh Newt. Why is it always the ones with the biggest hearts that have the biggest pet dilemmas? I like Tink's advice. Start a countdown for the return of The Man and lean on your gut instinct for the pup situation.

We're here if you need us.

Anonymous said...

i don't think you have anything to worry about with the hubster. Heck, maybe him coming back will help you put an end to that particular creaure from your anxiety closet for good.

As to the pups? Yowza! I feel for you there. I've been paralyzed by the whole dog delimma for the past two years myself. My instinct would be to take in the ones that would be harder to adopt out, but it's all so personal. Maybe you should make up a pro and con list about them, but if the hubster has any opinions on it, when he gets back, the hubster should too so that you both have an idea of what the other wants.

graymama said...

WOW! So sorry I am late on this one!

Re: Hubster leaving

When my gramms passed away, I did not get the chance to say, "I love you" to her before I left that morning. Hubby knows this bothers me and will wake me up to say I love you and goodbyes every morning. I understand that anxiety monster. ((((newt))))

Re: Soul mates

I always liked the Greek myth about how every couple of soul mates out there were once single beings that were split by the gods. Some find their other half and some don't. Some were male and female, some male and male, and some female and female. It sounds like you have found your way back to your other half, which is such a blessing; however, when separated it can feel like you are missing a piece of yourself.

Re: Dogs

Everyone has given you such GREAT ideas! I will add just a little bit more. Close your eyes and tell yourself a truth like "I love cheese curds." Pay attention to the feelings you have in your body. Now tell yourself a lie like "I hate cheese curds." Again, pay attention to how your body feels. Apply this to the dogs. Tell yourself you own Cora. Does it feel like a truth or a lie? Now tell yourself you own the 2 dogs. Does that feel like a truth or a lie?

You have such a strong heart! The truth will show itself :-)

HTH :-)