Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Heartwarming Tuesday and other musings

First Pictures:

And now for the heartwarming and other musings:

When I need to get away from my desk and find my happy place I go across the street to Starbucks. Get an expensive cup of coffee and then sit and read my book for a while. For me this is the best therapy possible.

On my latest excursion I was happily reading my book and a family walked in. The parents were walking a little ahead of their toddler daughter. As she was wandering behind them she removed her coat and dropped it on the ground, and then her hat, and then the mittens followed. So when I leaned over and looked down the length of the store there was a trail of clothes left by our little toddler. I couldn’t see all the way to the end but I did hear: “What the? Ohhhhhhhh” which was then followed by a smiling dad picking up after the trail of toddler. My description doesn’t do justice to the sheer cuteness of the whole thing.

Then upon returning to work the evil whiff of freshly popping popcorn permeated the air. I say evil only because I then had to go over to the popcorn stand and get myself some. And I am SOOOO glad I did. For I got to be witness to another moment that warms the heart. A fellow employee (I don’t know him personally) was leaving the building with his wife and their two small children. As they were heading out into the skyway Santa walked up to them. He said hello to their little girl and bent down to get to her level. He then opened up his big red bag and pulled out a Barbie doll for her. The little girl was frozen in sheer delight and awe. But you could hear the quietest little “Thank You Santa”. I have to confess that at this moment I almost cried. Then Santa asked if the little boy would want a toy too (he was probably about 6 months) but the parents said no, that it was okay. So Santa wished them a Merry Christmas and went about his way. The little girl just stood in the hall staring after Santa with a look of complete wonder on her face.

I don’t know why Santa was there, he wasn’t there on behalf of our company so what he did was completely random and incredibly generous and heart warming.

Speaking of drinking coffee and reading to find my happy place, I am currently reading a book called I Mona Lisa. It’s a marvelous story that takes place during the Renaissance. Not only is it a great read so far but the story brings to life people I would absolutely love to meet. Leonardo daVinci, Michelangelo, Lorenzo de’ Medici. I think it is one of the reasons I love historical fiction so much. For a moment, in my mind, I can almost be with those people. I can almost see, taste, and smell the room they are standing in. And if I really stretch my imagination I can imagine reaching out to feel the fabric of the clothing they are wearing. Is that weird? Be honest.

The hubster emailed the latest trailer for the movie “300” and he commented that the movie “ruins” the story. Have I ever mentioned that the hubster is the worlds most annoying movie goer? He hates 99% of all movies ever made. And one of his biggest beefs is “It’s not realistic, it’s not even close to accurate, no one would do that” blah blah blah blah blah. So of course when he says a movie is ruined I take it with a grain of salt. And I watched the trailer. Now, for all the women out there you will do the same thing I did. You’ll watch this trailer and then say to yourself “There’s a story?” Cause that is certainly what I did. Of course as soon as the trailer ended I also thought to myself: “when I go see that in the theater I’m going to have to bring chocolate and a fan.”
I’m sorry, when you have a film that you know is going to contain 300 mostly naked Roman “gods” who the hell cares what the story is? I mean seriously! SERIOUSLY!

As of 9 pm tonight I will be in the air and on my way to San Diego. So Newt's Muse will be closed till Tuesday. I wish everyone a fabulous rest of the week and weekend.

"So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!"


10 comments:

Jay said...

I enjoy historical fiction too.

I watched the trailer for "300" the other day. I'm not enough of an expert on the battle of Thermopylae to know if they "ruined" it or not. I do know that 300 Spartans were up against some 300,000 Persians in the battle.

I guess the movie depicts the Persian forces as being more than 1 million strong. So, they took a little creative license .... Hey, that happens.

Have a great time on your trip! Can't wait to see the pictures and the trip report.

Anonymous said...

Beta won't let me log in today...

300 *Drools* I may have to see that one WITHOUT Hoop. I don't think he'd appreciate it as much as I.

How was San Diego? Did you go "touristing" with your new camera? :)

BTW, Have you named the camera yet?

Tinkerbot
http://pickledbeef.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a movie fan, but I just may have to drag myself out to see this one!

btw, Shaun is the same way about movies...which might have something to dowith why I'm not a big movie fan

steve said...

On the topic of random Santas - last week there was a Santa out on the street in front of the building I work in, handing out crisp new one dollar bills to everyone who passed by.

I watched for awhile as he got a whole bunch of puzzled and suspicious looks.

Have fun in San Diego!

sardonicbomb said...

The first several paragraphs of this makes it sound like someone might want a toddler?

Anonymous said...

Kell here. I hate Blogger today--I haven't been able to post anywhere!

I love your cute photos and your heartwarming stories. Thanks for the smile.

And I'll be goin' to 300 by myself, too. My hubby's like your hubster--very critical.

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

I miss you!! *Sniffle*

Was that pathetic enough for ya?

Tink

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that in Buddy's world, we would have made him walk back and pick everything up himself?!

Is it bad that I thought the Santa was sweet and kind, but his choice of gift was lacking?!

Is it bad that 300 looks good, but I would rather drool over thin and tall guys like Joseph Gordon-Levitt?!

I MISS YOU!!!
See my comments are supposed to be funny. When I am sad, I try and make a funny to make it all better. Hope you are having a blast!

---graymama
http://graymama.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Re: your question about it being weird that you have a great imagination whilst reading and can feel, taste, smell, hear the surroundings of the characters...

NOT WEIRD but very damn cool.

We miss you!

Newt said...

Jay: if it's a million cute guys I'm okay with increasing the number for creative purposes.

Tink: No name yet, but it gets called "Damn camera" a lot. As in "Is that damn camera in your purse again?"

Susan and Kell: It's good to know I'm not alone in living with a terrible movie critic

Digital Janitor: He was just being Minnesota nice :-) I think it would have been fabulous to photograph the expressions on people faces as he did that.

Scott: Bite your tongue my friend. No kids for this girl. Good lord where would we put it? See I refer to the child as it - that's never a good sign.

Graymama: I would have probably had my little one pick up their stuff too.

Ch3ll3: I'm currently reading one that has really got me falling inside the book and "living in the pages" when I actually get time to read that is.