Sunday, January 21, 2007

Discovering the past

In the past couple of years I have become a fan of the classic film. And I have fallen completely in love with Carey Grant, Audrey Hepburn, and so many others. This weekend we watched two of Grant's films: Night and Day which told the story of Cold Porter, and some of The Touch of Mink. Both were enjoyable. The costumes in Night and Day were spectacular. I found myself wishing to live in a time when people dressed for dinner and wore evening gowns and tuxedos to just about every event short of grocery shopping. Just think of all the shoes I would need :-)
Anyway, aside from The Simpsons, and 24 I have pretty much decided that TCM is the channel for me and it runs 24/7 in this house. Ok, so once in a while we tune in to Mythbusters. I'll admit that.

And while I am talking about tv shows I did catch two episodes this weekend of Gay, Straight, or Taken. I can only say it was interesting. It was sort of like watching a train wreck. And once I started I had to wait and see how it all turned out. I was thinking of Scott during the show. Those boys would be fine photography subjects. Let me tell you. The first show I watched the boys all took their shirts off. Um, well, yum. And they were all cute and physically fit as hell.

Ok, so aside from a guilty moment or two of trash tv I also started The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. Page 119 and so far so wonderful. I am really enjoying this story.

And that's about it. It snowed here all day. The Bears won the playoffs! Unfortunately at blog time the Colts have one hell of an uphill battle on their hands. But my fingers are crossed. At least we don't have to spend the Super Bowl hearing about Cinderella stories and overcoming adversity. It's early in the third quarter so my fingers are crossed. Go Manning! And Tony - you coached one hell of a team!

5 comments:

Jay said...

I love TCM. The old classics are so much fun. Sometimes I like to laugh at the "special effects". But mostly I just admire how wonderful everyone was back in the day.

Kell said...

I love Cary Grant movies and TCM, too. The Bishop's Wife is one of my all time favorites.

The Memory Keepers Daughter is on my list. Glad to hear it is going well.

Did you watch the Dresden Files on Sci-Fi? I liked it. Very eerie.

Anonymous said...

I lvoe Cary Grant movies, and Katharine Hepburn movies. I also love terrible television with shirtless men. I'll have to check it out.

Scott
www.sardonic-bomb.com

graymama said...

Notorious is my favorite film because it contains 3 of my favorite people Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman and Alfred Hitchcock. You should check it out if you haven't already!

Cary Grant was one of the original choices for James Bond. Too bad that didn't happen!

I almost had enough credits for a Film Studies major in undergrad, so if you need any good oldie but goodie suggestions, just let me know :-)

Tink said...

I want to know your final verdict on "Memory Keepers Daughter." I've been eye-balling it for awhile. I've got 100 pages left of Shantaram, which I'll be finishing tonight. What a beautiful journey it's been. Thank you for turning me on to it!